Well, maybe not quite that far, but that's sort of what it felt like to be gone all week to places I've never been before. Here's the shortened version of what is a long story:
Before Christmas my Dad ended up in Houston for bypass surgery - turned out to be quadruple. I decided that I needed to go help him out when he came home, which was originally scheduled to take place last Monday - the same day I arrived. I flew to Dallas (cheaper), rented a car & drove the 4 hours to Louisiana where my Dad lives. After playing the waiting game for a couple days due to 1) miscommunication from the hospital & 2) complications from surgery, my Dad was required to stay in the hospital until the following week. So, in order for me to actually get to see him... a 5 hour drive to Houston I did make. I was able to visit him & keep him company in the hospital for a couple days. Since he was treated in a VA Hopsital, they also had a place that I could stay for the time I was there, which was free & helped to keep the cost of my trip down. After trying to change departure airports & rental car drop-off without any success, I headed the 4 1/2 hours back to Dallas early Saturday morning to catch my flight home. It was nice to be there for my Dad, even though things didn't quite go as planned, but oh how wonderful home is! I liken my trip to running errands, because I was running around doing this & that, just with a lot more driving time between each destination! I was definitely aware that I was being watched over & protected while on this trip since, in my normal life, I would never have been able to do most of the things that I was able to while I was gone (like driving long distances). It was a good & scary experience all at the same time, & I don't have any plans to visit Dallas or Houston anytime in the near (or maybe even far) future. Too big for me... I think I'll stick with Firth!
I'm happy to report that my Dad was finally able to recover enough to be sent home yesterday - no more hospitals required (we hope!).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment