Monday, August 22, 2011

Big K

Kindergarten that is! Today is Ava's 1st day of Kindergarten & the word "excited" is a complete & utter understatement! No sleepy eyes or slow movements from that girl this morning. She was ready on time, waited a few minutes for the bus, hopped on, waved out the window & off she went! Yesterday when I asked her if she wanted to ride the bus or wanted me to take her, she gave an adult-like reply that went something like this: "I probably better ride the bus so I can know if I'm going to like it or not." I think that was her nice way of letting my heartstrings down easy! I'm so happy that she has so much confidence. I would definitely choose this way over coaxing her to go to school while she cries her eyes out. I can only hope that her confidence continues, that she will always feel like she can accomplish any task, & will use her talents & smarts to help others.

We've been preparing for this day all summer. Practicing sight words, color words, number & letter writing, etc. - most of which we only did once or twice because she already knew them. Smarty Pants!
She's been frequently asked the following questions: "How old are you? What grade will you be in? Are you excited to go to the school?" Lately, when those questions come up she gives an exasperated sigh accompanied by a rolling of the eyes as if to say, "I've answered these questions enough times that these people should already know the answers!"




So... it looks like from here on out our lives will be a little different. And we'll be adding some new phrases to our parenting repertoire: "Is your homework done? You have school tomorrow. It's a school night," and probably most often, "HURRY the bus is coming!"

2 comments:

Kim said...

Awww.....cute, confident Ava! She is a smartie, that one! That's funny-- yeah, why do these people keep asking the same old questions!? How cute!!

Higley's said...

It's scary how fast they grew up! Brayden starts Kindergarten next week-I'm not sure he will go as easily as Ava though! We will see! Ava is adorable-wish we lived closer!