Friday, July 15, 2011

Hiking

A couple months ago someone name-dropped me for accompanying the 4th year Young Women on their 2 day backpacking trip. I said "yes" before I really had the chance to consider it! I vowed to get in shape before the hike so that I wouldn't need to be airlifted to a hospital mid-hike! The days ticked by, the weather remained uncooperative & motivation waned. The day of the hike came & although I was in a shape, it wasn't the one I was going for! However, I'm proud to report that I did it! Both days, all hills, carrying my pack that was 2nd heaviest & in the shape I was already in! I won't say it was easy by any means (& especially not the 2nd day when the weather was hotter & the hills were steeper).

I took my camera along with every intention of taking lots more pics, but the camera ended up inconveniently located in the top of my pack & once it was on, there was no way it was coming off just for a picture! Here are the ones I did get.

 Unloading the 4 suburbans of girls & leaders. A little drizzle @ the beginning & then all was well.

 The basin where we camped & the 2-man tent I ended up sharing. (Should have been snooty & kept it to myself!)

 We came from down there

All the girls after making it to the top!

I can't say that it was the adventure of a lifetime & it was a little difficult not really knowing the girls, but I can say that it was a good trip & I was reminded that I CAN do hard things! It also allowed me to discover 2 things. The good: I really do love to hike & enjoy nature & the beauty around us. The bad: I'm not as young as I used to be! I'm starting to think my sense of adventure is headed in a different direction!

3 comments:

Kim said...

You did it ---- yay!!! Way to go! I bet that was pretty squooshy sharing that tent! Nothing like sleeping RIGHT NEXT TO someone ya barely know, right?!! :)
When our kids get a little older we'll have to do some hiking together. We love it too.

Des said...

You are a WAY better woman than I am!!! But we always knew that.
Way to go!!!

Lisa said...

Awesome! I bet the girls just loved you!!